Solidarity at Sea wants you!
We are looking for a freelance campaigner – part time – immediate start.
There is currently an investigation running against 10 crewmembers of the rescue ship Iuventa. The sentence carries heavy fines and a jail time of up to twenty years – because the volunteers saved lives. During their mission, they helped over 14,000 people in distress at sea – as is required by both maritime law and international law. Despite this, Hendrik, Pia, Dariush, Sascha, Kathrin, Laura, Miguel, Zoe, Uli, and Miguel are faced with lengthy legal proceedings.
The show trial will begin in Italy this year- Italy, where Interior Minister Matteo Salvini continues to keep the ports closed to those rescued at sea, while Europe refuses to show solidarity with those who need it. In order to bring the case to the public, and to show moral support for the crew, we are searching – from the earliest possible moment – for a campaigner to work with our press team to fight this criminalisation. Human rights defenders should not have to sit in the dock. Sea-rescue is not a crime.
• Conception and leadership of a campaign against the criminalisation of solidarity.
• Social media campaigning and marketing – guiding the social media campaign and moderating content.
• Supporting PR work in Germany and Italy.
• Working on press releases (DE, EN, IT) and press conferences with the organization.
• Building up a European solidarity network of activists.
• Teaming up with our Advocacy crew
• You identify yourself with the objectives of civilian rescue, and are up-to-date with the current refugee situation.
• You are motivated to read into the legal bases of human rights and criminal prosecution.
• You already have experience in campaigning, fundraising and political work
• You enjoy being on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook.
• You are fluent in English and Italian (and ideally also speak German).
• You have at least a basic knowledge of photo and video editing.
• You are prepared to travel within Europe.
• You are self-assured.
• You can work independently, flexibly, reliably, and do so with a great sense of humour.
• A young and dynamic team.
• Flexible hours.
• Varied and interesting tasks.
• Contribution to the narrative of an open, egalitarian future society.
• Insights into the Berlin political and NGO scene.
• A monthly salary of up to 1,400 euros for 20 hours of work per week for which you send us an invoice.
Send us your application, along with your CV and cover letter including a link or copy of a recent project or campaign you managed – in PDF format (max 4MB)- to email@example.com
Application deadline: 30th January